Clinton TownshipOctober 31, 2007
Mother of 4 stabbed to death in Clinton Twp. condo
By Heidi Roman
C & G Staff Writer
Photo provided by the
Police looking for ex-husband for questioning
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Police would like to question the ex-husband of a 36-year-old Shelby Township woman who was fatally stabbed Oct. 30 in the Clinton Township condo the former couple once shared. It was Clinton Township’s second fatal stabbing in two weeks.
So far, investigators have not been able to locate Thomas John Kuzmak, 47. He has been labeled a person of interest in the murder.
Police discovered the body of Anne Bakunovich at 4 p.m. in the Fox Chase condominium complex on Charter Oaks, near Metropolitan Parkway and Groesbeck in Clinton Township. Investigators were checking the unit because she was reported missing.
“She had been reported missing by her sister she was living with (in Shelby Township),” said Clinton Township Capt. Richard Maierle. “She had not been seen since earlier Monday (Oct. 29).”
Shelby Township police had asked Clinton Township officers to check the condo earlier in the day Oct. 30. Everything was locked up and no one answered, Maierle said. Shelby Township police later obtained a search warrant of the residence to check on Bakunovich’s welfare. Her body was found with multiple stab wounds inside the residence, and Clinton Township investigators were called immediately.
Police would like to question Kuzmak, her ex-husband, in the incident.
“He has an extensive criminal history,” Maierle said. “Attempted murder, robbery, burglary.”
Kuzmak and Bakunovich are divorced, though it was not immediately clear for how long.
Bakunovich has three sons and one daughter, ages 8 to 13, who were living with her in Shelby Township with her sister. Kuzmak is not believed to be the father, Maierle said.
Reportedly, the former couple was fixing up the condo together in order to sell it. It was not clear whether or not Kuzmak had been living in the condo in the meantime.
Maierle said the condominium complex is known to be safe.
Kuzmak is 6 feet 3 inches tall and 190 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and many tattoos. Investigators believe he may be driving a maroon 1999 Dodge minivan belonging to the victim. The license plate number is 2HX S87.
Anyone who sees Kuzmak should contact local police immediately.
“Do not approach him,” Maierle said. “He is considered armed and dangerous.”
Bakunovich’s was the third homicide of 2007 in Clinton Township, and the second fatal stabbing in two weeks. On Oct. 23, Grace Bommarito, 43, was found stabbed to death in the Peri Manor Apartments. Three days later, her live-in boyfriend, John Bomar, 58, turned himself in to Livonia police. The couple had a history of domestic trouble.
In August, 50-year-old Richard Harrison Loury, a casino manager, was fatally shot on his fiancée’s doorstep in the Harbours Apartments off Hall Road. No one has been charged in the murder.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Wave of catalytic converter thefts hits Hazel Park - Hazel Park
- Local libation lovers whip up cocktails with a holiday twist - Royal Oak
- Police investigating attempted arson at home - Warren
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Advocacy group releases annual list of dangerous toys - Royal Oak
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Voters approve human rights ordinance - Royal Oak
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Digital diet could help put emotions, priorities in shape